Stem Cell Biology and Tissue Engineering in Dental Sciences, 1e
- Publisher: Academic Press; 1 edition (November 27, 2014)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0123971578
- ISBN-13: 978-0123971579
Stem Cell Biology and Tissue Engineering in Dental Sciences bridges the gap left by many tissue engineering and stem cell biology titles to highlight the significance of translational research in this field in the medical sciences. It compiles basic developmental biology with keen focus on cell and matrix biology, stem cells with relevance to tissue engineering biomaterials including nanotechnology and current applications in various disciplines of dental sciences; viz., periodontology, endodontics, oral & craniofacial surgery, dental implantology, orthodontics & dentofacial orthopedics, organ engineering and transplant medicine. In addition, it covers research ethics, laws and industrial pitfalls that are of particular importance for the future production of tissue constructs.
Tissue Engineering is an interdisciplinary field of biomedical research, which combines life, engineering and materials sciences, to progress the maintenance, repair and replacement of diseased and damaged tissues. This ever-emerging area of research applies an understanding of normal tissue physiology to develop novel biomaterial, acellular and cell-based technologies for clinical and non-clinical applications. As evident in numerous medical disciplines, tissue engineering strategies are now being increasingly developed and evaluated as potential routine therapies for oral and craniofacial tissue repair and regeneration.
• Diligently covers all the aspects related to stem cell biology and tissue engineering in dental sciences: basic science, research, clinical application and commercialization.
• Provides detailed descriptions of new, modern technologies, fabrication techniques employed in the fields of stem cells, biomaterials and tissue engineering research including details of latest advances in nanotechnology.
• Includes a description of stem cell biology with details focused on oral and craniofacial stem cells and their potential research application throughout medicine.
• Print book is available and black and white, and the ebook is in full color