Scully's Medical Problems in Dentistry, 7e
- "...an extremely valuable source of information that should be in the armamentarium of any dental professional..." By European Journal of Orthodontics,, Feb 2015
- Helps understanding of the relevant illness as identified from the patient’s history, physical examination and investigations;
- Shows readers how to present a succinct and, when appropriate, unified list of all problems that could influence oral health care and formulate a diagnosis/treatment plan for each problem;
- Emphasises the need to appreciate issues of access and informed consent, preventive oral health care and the avoidance of harm;
- Enables the reader to develop strategies to identify patients at risk of medical problems, to assess the severity of those risks and, where necessary, to recognize the need for referral;
- Places emphasis on good communication between all health-care professionals, and between HCPs and patients;
- Emphasises the need to take into account people’s cultural needs and preferences as well as deal with patients who may have additional needs such as physical, sensory or learning disabilities;
- User-friendly format allows ease of access to information whether for exam revision purposes or for a specific issue confronting staff in a busy clinical environment.
- Includes an array of new disorders ranging from hypersensitivity syndrome to neuropathic pain;
- Discusses recent updates in pharmacology and other aspects of medical intervention, including the use of biological therapies;
- Explores new areas such as cosmetic and other implants, dental materials hypersensitivity, drugs and dietary interactions and new aspects of alternative medicine;
- Other issues include elder maltreatment, care of vulnerable people, treatment of sexual minorities, new substance abuse and self-harm;
- Explores the link between periodontal infection and various systemic diseases;
- New national and international guidelines, selected recent references and up-to-date websites.
|Published:||June 10, 2014|